Chris Toy, long time Maine middle level educator, has an alter-ego–Chef Chris Toy.
Chris made sushi Friday morning on Fox 23, the local Maine affiliate of Fox.
Watch the video: http://www.myfoxmaine.com/story/19985955/make-your-own-sushi
Chris is an extraordinary teacher. What he does in this video can be applied to any subject:
- Be very clear about your learning target
- Keep the class atmosphere congenial and inviting
- Break the process down into easily-tackled chunks
- Provide hands-on opportunities (this video is too short for this step, but if you take a class with Chris you always get your fingers sticky or gooey!)
- Use formative assessment & coaching along the way (Observation of students’ techniques and intervention when necessary)
- Final assessment–in his classes you eat your work so you know immediately if you met the learning target.
Visit his cooking channel on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/cmtoy